Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Dumb and Dumber

Raul Gonzales, the Justice Secretary who always has something derogatory to say against somebody, has decided over the weekend to pick on the UP system:

That school breeds the destabilizers that haunt the country year after year. They are acting as if they are the only ones who know how to run the country.

x x x

I doff my hat to them because they initiate the running of naked people... That’s also one kind of culture that they develop there... Maybe we are going in that direction... there are now women running naked. I will not be surprised if they will go to school with only their books, nothing more.

In response to his statements, the UP Alphi Phi Omega fraternity staged a “special edition” of their yearly Oblation Run at the Diliman campus yesterday, if only "to show the UP community that the fraternity was not going to take the justice secretary’s remarks sitting down." There is no feedback yet from Gonzales if the streakers, one way or the other, destabilized the country.

But what do we know? The state, after all, according to Gonzales, "is the one paying for [our] schooling," unlike Gonzales, who incidentally is from the University of Sto. Tomas(!) - the reason, supposedly, why he is "well-behaved.” He said, "I think some degree of gratitude should be there also."

Well, I am a taxpayer. So, I am paying him his salary as Justice Secretary. I believe the good secretary should likewise repay me, by say, slitting his throat.