Tuesday, November 29, 2005

He's Back

Voldemort, that is. While the rest of humanity has seen it fit to watch the fourth installment of the highly popular Harry Potter series almost two weeks ago, I decided to let the panic subside a bit and watched it yesterday. It is not Star Wars, after all. Nevertheless, "the boy who lived" still managed to fill up Power Plant's Cinema 3, although most of the people who filled up the seats probably got their tickets just before the show was about to start.

I have not read a single Harry Potter book. Not knowing what will happen next, I think, makes the film more enjoyable to watch. I am even willing to go out on a limb here and say that Voldemort's reincarnation is many times - nay, infinitely - more compelling than that of Apo Abukay's.

Conversely, I try not to watch any of the film adaptations of the books that I have enjoyed reading. So, I purposely did not watch The Cider House Rules, or Simon Birch (A Prayer for Owen Meany). I saw Hotel New Hampshire via my PS2 and Breakfast of Champions over RPN-9, and both films were definitely disappointing. An exception to this rule would be any of Stephen King's novels. I couldn't care less how many times one has read Different Seasons, particularly Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, you still have to see The Shawshank Redemption. It's that good.