Monday, November 14, 2005

Da Bears


When I left for Manila almost six years ago, I said that one of the things that I would miss most about Chicago was watching the Bears live. When I was there, the Bears were still bad. Not the kind of "bad" that would put fear into their opponents' hearts, but the kind that you need to flush. They were consistently at the bottom of the division, or at best, somewhere very near it.

I used to take the train, or drive and park somewhere near Northwestern station, and take the bus to Soldier Field. There is nothing like it. Not even a Bulls game at the United Center (granted that when I saw a Bulls game live, nobody was wearing #23). Believe me, there is nothing that comes close to the experience of watching a football game. Live. In the middle of winter. In an open-air stadium. Sitting on a lake.

The Bears are now 6-3. They lead the division, with a two game lead over Detroit (4-5), which they have already beaten twice, and Minnesota (4-5). Now, if only they could figure out a way how not to screw this up...