Monday, October 30, 2006

Unassigned Readings


I have made it a point to read something every time the semestral break rolls in, if only to resensitize myself after being desensitized by five months of "mind-numbing torture and moral erosion." [1] So in preparation for this cleansing ritual, I got myself a copy of a book my sister-in-law recommended to me, one week before the last exam. I wasn't there at Rockwell for the book. It just so happened that upon browsing, I discovered that the paperback copy was out, and I just had to get it.

So, earlier this morning, save for the Author's Notes, which I plan to finish later tonight, I finished the only Anne Rice book that I have ever read. Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt is a "curious portrait of a seven-year-old Jesus, who departs Egypt with his family to return home to Nazareth." [2] Rice narrates, in childlike language, "Jesus' gradual discovery of the miraculous birth his parents have never discussed with him." [3] It is an interesting and refreshing read, just in time for the holidays, I guess. And since it is narrated from the Christ child's perspective, it was an easy read, as well. A very good antidote to the convoluted language of codal provisions and judicial decisions. It would not displace The Catcher in the Rye, but it's up there.

I finished the book one week ahead of time. Which is all good, since now, I have one full week to enjoy Sports Illustrated's NBA Preview Issue, which I had reserved at Bufini last week. This has been a most satisfying break. If only I can read volumes of the SCRA with as much vigor. But, I digress.

Footnotes:

[1]See Ask Scaebolah! #4

[2]See Amazon.com

[3]Id.