Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Until I Find You

I don't frequent Book Sale now as much as I did in college. Which is sad, when you think about it, considering that most of the books I had were fruits of tedious search operations in Book Sale branches all over Metro Manila. My copy of Catcher in the Rye, was such a fruit. Bought for the sum of 10 pesos, only to be borrowed and never to be returned.

I also started my collection of second-hand Steinbecks, Vonneguts, and Irvings this way. Sadly, most of these have already been lost to the elements, and to critters who likewise call our family home, home.

Speaking of Irving, I am eagerly awaiting the release of the man's latest novel. I was in college when I read Garp, New Hampshire and Cider House, and none of his other work has been as compelling as the three mentioned above. While I sincerely doubt that this latest novel will be better than those three, I am more than willing to find out.